Mama Lockdown



The battle of between D-town and the Hills had been fierce. City folk and suburbanites fought over what was left after the Burn of '44. If the polticians had been treacherous before, what each side's army did to each other was worse. I'm not talking bodies. The Burn took care of that, I'm talking wasting what few resources we collectively were depended on: the freakin' land, metals and textiles.

In the end neither side ended up any better off: both sides lacked enough resources and we remained co-dependent whether we liked it or not. Now the city folk actually had the upper-hand. You know the joke, poor folks know how to make do. So after the Burn, those in the epicenter got busy plotting out community gardens, establishing neighborhood turfts and making pacts with micro gangs for protection.

And while the burbs were slow on the uptake they weren't without their wits. The ex Suits knew when it was crunch time, you had to act on your feet, be efficient. Instead of looking to optimize profits, they pooled intellectual property. City and Burbs bartered their best assets. Necessity will make bedfellows out of estranged partners.

Now this is Auntie's sanitized version. Auntie says if folks had been reasonable and sane, we wouldn't have had the Burn to begin with it. Besides, she says no sense in wasting more time than necessary to explain what has happened. Auntie has no time for blame or tears. She says neither will feed us nor protect us.

My name is Tyemba, I'm eleven, and I live with my Auntie, Mama Lockdown. Auntie is no joke. She thinks she's cool and don't get me wrong, she is but she's my Auntie. Even with her cool outfit and superpowers and all, she's still the woman who wiped my butt as a baby. Know what I mean?

Anyway, gotta go. Auntie sent me on an errand, and if I'm not back when she think I should be back she won't have to use no super power to make my butt hurt. I'll holla at you later. Peace.

p.s. Nobody and I mean nobody calls her Auntie but me. Last thing you want to do is piss off my aunt. So if you meet her, show mad respect. It's Mama Lockdown to you.




linked up with poetry jam: I entered a superhero contest once. We created the figure you see. Later I wrote the story with my nephew in mind. Join us.

Comments

  1. haha....bad ass...
    this is awesome...so cool on the character...and she has character...and spunk...bet she could mess someone up...smiles.

    you're awesome...
    phones about to die...couple more hours to B'more, among the city folk...i'll yell if i need a super assist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ready, when you call, Super D. Always gotcha ya back. Thanks. I loved seeing your prompt today. Made me happy.

      Delete
  2. Love it ~~~ consider me showing a bit of 'mad respect.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. LaTonya, you rocked this prompt! Love that voice of the little girl and the superhero, big smiles! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative superhero here!! Enjoyed meeting Mama Lockdown!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent writing although i think i would have second thoughts about meeting her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love character design and the whole concept! Mama Lockdown very cool and very charming write =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friends, this was so much fun writing and the software to make our superhero was more fun. Thanks for reading and taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this no nonsense super hero or heroin but I like a term I heard on tv..."shero".
    When we choose up sides...I choose her..but I will only point and not call her "Auntie"...
    and of course I will always show her the proper respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George, and you can call her Mama L or Mama Lockdown. :-) Will have to make my way to your space.

      Delete
  9. Delightful! Auntie sounds like a tuff bird and your storytelling has a charm that certainly engages the reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SS, glad you like my gal and my writing. I look forward to chatting with you again and reading your work.

      Delete
  10. Good character sketches here--both the speaker and Mama Lockdown. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely want more Tyemba and Mama Lockdown!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this character! I definitely want her on MY side!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

This is an interactive site. Dialogue is the aim here. latonya.blackandgray(at)gmail (dot)com

Popular Posts